Points of Interest
The Granite Curling Club, 22 Granite Way
The Granite Curling Club is a very important piece of Winnipeg’s history. As the cities oldest remaining curling club, it is still a widely used and notable gathering place. The main entrance to the clubhouse has seen little change over the years, but the inside has. In 1955 the first artificial ice was installed which allowed members to play all year round. This of course made the rink more popular, and in 1959 the Granite Room, bar service, and an expanded kitchen and catering service offered more space and luxury for the curlers. Affectionately known as the “Mother Club” the building has been the scene of many thrilling matches.
Once owned by captain Joseph Hill in the 1800’s, the historic and picturesque Armstrong’s Point is a river peninsula now made up of three streets, East Gate, Middle Gate and West Gate. The land was granted to Hill by the Hudson’s Bay Company, but five years later, Hill returned to England leaving James Armstrong in care of his property. Armstrong died in 1874, and Hill, hearing that land values were rising in the Canadian West, returned to Winnipeg, reestablished his title to the property and sold it. The first home was built in 1882, and many more stately homes were to come after that. The gates on Cornish were erected in 1910 by request of the well to do residents, and were closed at night. Today, the gates no longer close, but there are still many heritage homes including some of the original mansions.
The Cornish Library, 20 West Gate
The Cornish Library is a small building as far as libraries go. The 4,600 square foot structure was built for longevity in 1914 by the National Construction Company of Winnipeg, replacing the original Winnipeg Waterworks. Now almost 100 years old, named after Winnipeg’s first Mayor Francis Cornish, the library is still in use today. There have been some prominent users of the facility throughout the years, including Nellie McClung. It is located in the prestigious Armstrong’s Point.
Westminster United Church, 745 Westminster Avenue
Westminster Avenue was not always known as such, it was in honour of the Westminster Church that Buell Avenue became Westminster. Built between 1910 and 1912 by J.H.G. Russell, the Beaux-Art/English Gothic style is well represented in this large and ornate church. On June 16, 1912 over 1300 people attended its inaugural service. It is has been named a heritage building by the Province of Manitoba, and today is home to many concerts, weddings and events, in addition to its regular church services.