After a year off due to the pandemic, the Sherbrook Street Festival made a comeback on September 10th and 11th, 2021. In light of ongoing uncertainty around Covid restrictions, we planned for a different-looking event this year and were super pleased with the results.
On Friday night, we co-hosted an event at the Beer Can with the University of Winnipeg Student Union. Good times were had by all, including plenty of students who turned 18 during the pandemic and are finally able to discover the great bars and venues in West Broadway.
Saturday afternoon saw the Festival stretch across three locations: the Beer Can for live music, Chip’s Vintage for DJs and sidewalk dancing, and Broadway Neighbourhood Centre for family activities. The field at BNC was a particular highlight for many in the neighbourhood. A bouncy castle was set up (provided by Eric Neumann, Realtor), plus Hudson Bagels and Decadence Chocolates provided some delicious snacks for guests and volunteers. We didn’t have vendors this year to cut down on physical contact, but we had great booths from Oak Hammock Marsh (and their famous critter-catching), Art City (with the magic that they bring to everything they do), the Winnipeg Public Library, a tree canopy renewal group, Wolseley Family Place and more! In the evening, we partnered with Cinematheque to screen a movie next to the Skate Park.
We have so many plans for next year; ways to grow and evolve the event to bring more folks to West Broadway to explore and discover all we have to offer!
In the meantime, there are so many to thank:
- First and foremost, the incredible event management team: Real Love Winnipeg (Gilad Carroll and Adam Soloway), and Jill Hisco
- Up next, our local BIZ members who contributed time, effort and products to our day
- Spatch and the entire Broadway Neighbourhood Centre team for hosting us
- Our amazing volunteers for keeping everything safe, organized and fun
- A stellar line up of musicians from across Manitoba
- The Bear Clan, who stopped in to support us
- Most importantly, everyone who came down to enjoy a beautiful fall day with us!